NY Metro Chapter Membership Drive
For the month of October, if you join or renew your membership with Physicians for a National Health Program, 100% of your dues will be given to the NY Metro Chapter to support our work right here in New York. Normally, it's a 50/50 split, so this is a great opportunity to support the NY Metro Chapter. All are welcome to join; you don't need to be a physician. We have nurses, public health professionals, social workers and concerned people who support single-payer health care as members of our organization.
Why become a member of PNHP?
- PNHP’s mission is rooted in justice. Membership to PNHP means you are an important part of the only organization dedicated to winning the right to health care via a single-payer health care system. As the White Coats for Black Lives working group wrote in the Journal of Ethics, “In addition to improving access for all patients, a single-payer system would eliminate insurance-status discrimination and ensure that reimbursements for services provided to white patients and patients of color are equal." Single-payer health care will level the field in terms of financing health care, a necessary step in addressing the larger issues of health disparities that plaque our country.
- PNHP’s research has been a driving force behind health reform at all levels of government. Through grand rounds, professional conferences, and public events, we educate other health professionals and the public that the status quo is not working and physicians want change. In fact, 59% of physicians now support a national health insurance program for the United States. As a member, you get early access to the most up-to-date research on this issue, allowing you to be an effective advocate.
- Your membership will help support the burgeoning student movement, which now boasts over 800 members in over 40 chapters across the country at medical and public health schools. Our advocacy can have a real impact on the future of medicine and the way these students will practice.
- Finally, PNHP is an organization run by its members. We just reached 20,000 members nationally. We accept no corporate contributions of any kind. Our small staff and all activities are supported by members’ dues, individual contributions, and above all, the hands-on activities of our members. We’d love to welcome you back into the membership circle. We simply can’t do this work without you.
- All members who sign up or renew their membership this month will receive the union-made, organic Health Care Is A Human Right tote bag, pictured here. Wear it proudly as we continue our work to make health care a right in New York State and beyond.